Slides in this set
· Females inherit 2 chromosomes, one
from each parent (XX).
· Males inherit an X chromosome from
their mother and a Y chromosome from
their father (XY).
· Therefore it is the male sperm which
determines the anatomical sex.…read more
· Most human bodies contain 46 chromosomes,
· Chromosome 23 is the most important to the
· If it is a Y, the action of the hormones within
this chromosome will `switch on' and develop
the testes and cause the disappearance of the
· The reverse is true if chromosome 23 is an X.…read more
Atypical sex chromosomes
· Abnormalities in chromosome 23 can cause a
number of medical conditions and syndromes.
· A `Syndrome' is a collection of behaviours,
which are characteristic of a group sharing a
· Conditions caused by abnormalities in
chromosomes are used to support the idea of
a genetic basis for differences in behaviour.…read more
· Occurs when females develop only 1 X
chromosome on chromosome 23.
· It is thought that at the point of conception
the chromosome does pair with the X from
the sperm but shortly afterwards one of the
· In 80% of cases the surviving chromosome
contains genetic material from the mother.…read more