Slides in this set
· Humans need to consume a balanced diet in order
to maintain health, by ensuring a strong immune
system, aiding learning, and strengthening the
· There are seven key components in a balanced
diet: carbohydrates (energy), proteins (growth
and repair), fats (in cell membranes), vitamins
(chemical processes), minerals (bodily functions),
water (transporting substances) and fibre
Impacts of a poor diet
· Malnutrition : lack of good nutrition and balanced
· Obesity : an accumulation of excess fat which leads
to negative health impacts
· Body mass index is often used to determine whether
a person is a underweight, healthy, overweight or
Health risks-Super skinny
· Heart attack: lack of food causes the body to
begin digesting muscle including the cardiac
· Osteoporosis: low bone density can lead to
increasing risk of fractures.
· Anaemia: lack of iron can lead to low red
blood cell counts, therefore less oxygen gets
to the brain. Leads to paleness & fainting.
· Fatigue: caused by a lack of carbohydrates.…read more
Health risks-Super size
· Sleep apnoea: fat build up causes pressure on
the lungs, can cause someone to stop
· Cardiovascular disease: heart attack, angina,
high blood pressure, and atherosclerosis.
· Type 2 Diabetes: can be caused by high
amounts of sugar being consumed.
· Amputated limbs: sugar build up in
extremities can cause tissue damage.…read more