Slides in this set
· Reactant - in lots of chemical reactions, like hydrolysis
· Solvent most biological reactions take place in solution so it'
· Transport it's a liquid & solvent so can easily transport
substances like glucose & oxygen around plants/animals.
· Temperature Control carries away heat energy when it
evaporates from a surface so cools surface & lowers temp.…read more
Because the shared negative Hydrogen
electrons are pulled towards the Oxygen
atom, each Hydrogen is left with a slight
The unshared electrons on the
Oxygen atom give it a slight
The ve charge oxygen atoms of water attract the +ve charged hydrogen atoms
of other water molecules... This attraction is called Hydrogen Bonding.
Hydrogen Bond…read more
Hydrogen Bonding Gives Water...
· High Specific Heat Capacity (SPH) H bond between water molecules
absorb a lot of energy so water has a high SHC, this is useful for living
organisms as it stops rapid temperature changes.
· High Latent Heat Of Evaporation takes a lot of energy (heat) to break the H
bonds so water has a high latent heat of evaporation, so lots of energy is
used up when water evaporates, useful for living organisms as It means
water is great at cooling things.
· Polar It's polarity makes it very cohesive this attraction between water
molecules helps water to flow.
· Good Solvent Polarity makes water a good solvent. Lots if important
substances in biological reactions are ionic (eg salt). Ionic molecules are
made from a +ve ion and a ve ion so slightly negative end of water
molecule is attracted to positive ion and slightly positive end of water
molecule is attracted to negative ion. This means he ions get totally
surrounded by water molecules so they'll dissolve.…read more
· Made from long chains of amino acids, Proteins
are made up of one or more polypeptides.
· Dipeptide when two amino acids join together.
· Polypeptide when more than two amino acids
join together.…read more