- The arms race-causes fear and suspicion
- Creation of NATO-Berlin Blockade
- Hungarian uprising
- U2 plane shot down
- Cuba-Batista pro American, America brought Cuba's supplies, Castro took over Cuba
- Castro shut down all American businesses, America retaliated by refusing to buy Cuba's supplies.
- CASTRO SAID HE WASN'T A COMMUNIST BUT US REACTIONS PUSHED HIM TOWARDS COMMUNISM.
- Russia agreed to pay Cuba 1960 Russia signed an agreement to buy 1 million tonnes of sugar a year
- Castro favours Communism (Cuba is 90 miles from America)
- Khrushchev was confident over JFK
- JFK looks even weaker after the bay of pigs.
- Castro got worried as Americans tried to overthrow him
- He turns to Russia who says "I'll give you everything you need-men, weapons" and flood into Cuba.
- Within months became the best equipped army in Latin America
- Castro now becomes Communists
- All weapons in Cuba were defensive, they only stopped Americans coming to Cuba from America.
- JFK realised he didn't want to invade Cuba until the 14/10/62, US spys planes flew over Cuba taking pictures, realising Russians were buildingnuclear missile bases in Cuba
- This means that all American cities could be wiped out by nuclear weapons. All American defences were on the East and West, Cuba is on the South.
- Nuclear weapons were ready in November.
- As soon as JFK knew about this he got together a committee of advisors;
- Their options were to bomb Cuba, invade Cuba, air strike against Cuba or blockade Cuba or do nothing
- JFK decides to build a naval blockade around Cuba or quarantine round Cuba
- American forces put on highest alert with bombers ready.
- Khrushchev send ships to Cuba
- Kennedy puts a quarrentine around Cuba
- Armed forces are put on the highest alert
- Closest the world has ever come to being wiped out.
- JFK asks Khrushchev to remove missiles from Cuba
- Khrushchev pushes Kennedy. Khrushchev says to Kennedy "if you don't invade Cuba, we'll shut down nuclear weapons"
- Hawks(fighting) Doves (piece)
- U2 spy plane shot down
- 2nd letter says "remove blockade and nuclear weapons in Turkey and then we'll remove our nuclear bombs"
- Bobby Kennedy tells JFK to accept the1st letter (in secret he agrees to remove missiles from Turkey)