- James Meredith and 'Ole Miss'
- 1962- James Meredith won the appeal to overturn the decision to exclude him from Mississippi State University
- Mississippi State and officials objected
- President Kennedy's brother, the US Attorney General, send in federal marshals to enforce the court ruling
- 2 marshals were killed and 160 people were injured
- But when James Meredith finally entered 'Ole Miss' it was seen as a significant victory
- black people had finally won the right to go to university
Similar History resources: