- The National Grid.
- Electricity is transmitted from power stations through to homes / businesses using the national grid.
- Power= voltage x current
- Step up transformers increase the voltage up to 400 000v.
- Step up transformers are found at the power station
- Step down transformers reduce the voltage and the power enters the homes / businesses at 230v.
- Step down transformers are found in substations near homes.
- Increasing the voltage in power cables reduces the current.
- Wires heat up, so thinner cables are needed and less energy is wasted.