- Created by: Q_
- Created on: 11-04-19 19:41
- Should the voting age be lowered to 16?
- The vast majority of 16/17 year olds are too young to make rational judgements.
- Very few 17/17 year olds work to an extent that they pay tax. Their stake in society is likely to be low.
- In an age of rapid information and communication technology, young people are more engaged and much better informed than previous generations.
- With turnout so low among 18-24 year olds, engaging voters while they are younger and still in school or college could support more engaged and responsible patterns of political participation.
- 16 year-olds are old enough to pay taxes, get married and serve in the armed forces - it is difficult to justify why they are not old enough to vote.
Similar Government & Politics resources: