- Weber: Religion As A Force For Change
- Weber claimed that Calvinist beliefs helped the emergence of modern capitalism. Calvinists live to work by reinvesting their earnings back into their business; money is a potential sign they are chosen.
- Hinduism and Confucianism
- India and China had a lot of growth but capitalism didn't flourish. Weber claimed that this was due to the lack of a belief system similar to Calvinism. Hinduism considered the next worlds whereas Confucianism didn't encourage people to systematically make money.
- Weber furthers the ideas of Marxism and looks to cultural factors being present for a change to occur. However, some countries held Calvinist ideas (Scotland) but capitalism didn't flourish. Tawney claims the bourgeoisie adopted Calvinist beliefs to legitimate their financial gain.