- Properties of Graphic Materials
- The ability to withstand forces without breaking.
- Rope resists a pulling force
- Bridges resist a squashing force
- Surfboards resist bending forces
- The ability to withstand scratching, rubbing or denting
- High quality graphic products need to avoid getting scratched.
- The opposite of brittle (hard but can break easily)
- Can absorb impacts without breaking or snapping
- Armour and bulletproof vests need to be tough
- Aesthetic Properties
- The way a material looks
- Opaque/ Transparent/ Translucent
- Colour, texture, pattern.
- Strength to Weight ratio
- Materials that are strong but don't weigh much.
- Important for space crafts, racing cars and packaging.
- Impact Resistance
- A variety of toughness. The ability to withstand a sudden force without snapping or cracking
- Copper has good impact resistance, it can be hit with a hammer and not shatter.
- The ability to bend without breaking
- Electrical wires must be flexible so they can bend around objects
Similar Design & Technology: Graphics resources: