- Other functions of crime
- Other sociologists have developed Durkheim's idea that deviance can have positive functions.
- Davis: Prostitution acts as a 'safety valve,' for the release of men's sexual frustrations without threatening the monogamous, nuclear family.
- Cohen: A warning that an institution is not functioning properly
- For example, high truancy rates may tell us that the education system is not functioning properly.
- Erikson: If crime and deviance performs social functions, society may be organised to promote social deviance rather than rid society of it.