- Multi store model
- 1) Information is received by the sensory stores.
- 2) Some of the information in the sensory stores is further processed by the short term memory.
- 3) Information in the short term memory is transferred into long term memory by rehearsal.
- STM - Miller determined people can only remember 7 +/- 2 chunks of info
- Atkinson & Shiffrin said there was only one long term memory store.
- Cohen & Squire argued there was two: Declarative and procedural knowledge.
- Advantages: brain damage patients, encoding, duration, capacity.
- Disadvantage: rehearsal, simplistic, single STM store.