- Evaluation of Liberation Theology
- The position of Marxists depends on how social change is defined.
- Liberation theology may have helped to bring about democracy but it did not threaten the stability of Capitalism.
- Neo-Marxists question the view that religion is always a conservative force.
- Maduro: Religion can be a revolutionary force that brings about change. In the case of liberation theology, religious ideas radicalised the Catholic clergy in defence of peasants and workers, making them see that serving the poor was part of their Christian duty.
- Lowy: questions Marx's view that religion always legitimates social inequality.