- The Equality act 2010
- An act of parliament of the UK
- Purpose = to codify the complicated and numerous array of Acts and Regulations, which formed the basis of Anti Discrimination law in Great Britain. Bring together different equality laws!
- This was primarily, the Equal Pay Act 1970, the Sex Discrimination Act 1975, the Race Relations Act 1976, the DDA 1995 and 3 major statutory instruments protecting discrimination in employment on grounds of religion or belief, sexual orientation and age.
- Requires equal treatment in access to employment as well as private and public services, regardless of the protected characteristics of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
- In the case of gender = special protections for pregnant women - flexible working + breast feeding.
- Act allows transsexual people to be barred from gender - specific services.
- In the case of disability = employers + service provides are under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to their workplaces to overcome barriers experienced by disabled people.
- Brought UK law in line with Equal Treatment Directives (EU)