- Consequences of Federalism.
- Oregon allows doctor-assisted suicide
- Laws vary on drugs & death penalty
- Both federal & state courts
- Variations in penalties for law breaking from state to state.
- Variations in state law concerning such matters at the age at which one can drive a car & must attend school.
- Each state decides such matters as: how candidates will be chose for elections in their state & the procedures for getting a candidate's name on the ballot paper.
- Political parties are essentially decentralised,state-based parties.
- Each state having its own constitution
- Federal grants.
- complexity of tax system: income tax is levied by both the federal government & some state governments, different property taxes are levied by the state governments and sales taxes vary between cities.
- Regional diversity and regional considerations when making appointments to cabinet or 'balancing ticket'
- Distinct difference between the conservatism of the deep south & the liberalism of Northeast.
Similar Government & Politics resources: