- C2- Material choices
- Materials we use are chemicals or mixtures of chemicals, and include metals, ceramics and polymers.
- Only a small percentage of crude oil is used for synthesis and that most is used for fuel.
- Petrochemical industry refines crude oil by fractional distillation
- Modifications in polymers produce changes to their properties to include modifications such as; increased chain length, cross-linking and the use of plasticizes
- Nano science is the study of extremely small particles. Atoms and Molecules are nano-sized
- A nanometre is a thousand million times smaller than a metre.
- Nano sized materials have very different properties
- Atoms of a surface tend to be more reactive compared to the ones in the centre
- Nano particles can be added to sports equipment to make it stronger
- The use of silver nanoparticles to give fibres antibacterial properties
- Some nanoparticles may have harmful effects on health
- There are concern that products with nanoparticles are being introduced before these effects have been fully investigated
- Nanotechnology involves structures that are about the same size as some molecules
- It is possible to produce a wide range of different polymers with properties that make them each suited to a particular use
- Some small molecules called monomers can join together to make very long molecules called polymers
- The process of this is called polymerisation
Similar Chemistry resources: