- Laughing Gas 1799. Humphry Davy discovered it. Horace Wells used it. Temporary pain relief
- Esther 1846. Used by American dentists. Used in Britain for amputations. It was very flammable and caught fire sometimes during surgery.
- Chloroform 1847. Discovered by chance by James Simpson. Queen Victoria used it in childbirth. Increased usage after
- For and against. Religious groups believed that God wanted women to suffer through childbirth.
- People were worried about the side effects. Overdoses did happen
- Led to the Black Period. Doctors carrying out more adventurous operations. Caused infections. Many deaths by blood loss.
- Doctors didn't sterile equipment until Louis Pasteur's germ theory