- Created by: JackKnight03
- Created on: 09-03-19 12:39
- 19th century Treatments
- Louis Pasteur discovered the first vaccine since smallpox for Chicken Cholera as his assistant forgot to inject chickens with the disease. The germ culture had been out for days and been weakened by air. He also found a vaccine for Rabies.
- The boom in vaccines came through Koch and Pasteur’s German-French rivalry
- Paul Ehrlich wanted to find ‘magic bullets’ that would be a synthetic antibody
- The magic bullet Salvarsan 606 for syphilis was found by chance as a Japanese researcher Sata retested failed drugs and found that this one had been overlooked.
- Lots of drugs came onto the market, but were often catch-all painkillers based on cocaine and not effective
Similar History resources: