1. what are meteorites?
- parts of the moon
- a meteorite is a solid piece of debris from a source such as an asteroid or a comet, which originates in outer space and survives its impact with the earth's surface. it is called a meteoroid before its impact, a meteorite's size can range from S-XL
- a heavy rock that comes from space
- unidentified rocks on earth
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. what is the Miller-Urey Experiment?
- the aim was to see if substances now made by living things could be formed in the conditions thought to have existed on the early earth.
- the Miller-Urey experiment is a fissure in a planet's surface from which geothermally heated water issues.
- the Miller-Urey experiment tested to see if life began in a pond or ocean as a result of the combination of chemicals from the atmosphere and some form of energy to make amino acids
- the Miller-Urey experiment suggested that the original molecules of life formed with clay that, as it crystallizes, sticks together, is capable of bringing in more clay and thus start a mechanism for selecting materials
3. what are deep sea vents? (hydrothermal vents)
- a heated gap in the sea filled with water
- a hydrothermal vent is a fissure in planet's surface from which geothermally heated water issues. hydrothermal vents are commonly found near volcanically active places, areas where tectonic plates are moving apart, ocean basins and hotspots.
- a deep gap in the sea floor
- a place where only some animals can live
4. what happens at plate boundaries?
- at the plate boundaries there tends to be volcanoes and earthquakes occurring due to the movement of the plates
- various natural disasters
- there are huge ravines where the plates have moves away from each other
- there is no way of telling where the boundaries are
5. explain how the atmosphere has changed to contain oxygen
- natural disasters eventually created oxygen
- life evolved to form single-celled organisms which started to photosynthesise
- oxygen was suddenly released from within the earth
- trees grew and produced oxygen