1. What colour does magnesium turn in the flame test?
- Brick red
- No colour
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. How do you work out which substance is which from a chromatogram?
- Add bromine water and measure
- Compare with chromatograms of unknown substances and use the periodic table
- Compare with other chromatograms of known substances taken at the same temperature with the same solvent
- Use a pH meter
3. Give two ways to test for positive ions
- Barium chloride and bromine water
- Flame test or with sodium hydroxide solution
- Flame test or with bromine water
- Barium chloride and sodium hydroxide solution
4. How do you test for carbonate ions?
- Add hydrochloric acid to see if it fizzes, it if does test the gas with limewater to see if it goes cloudy
- Bromine water will go clear
- Add hydrochloric acid and it will fizz
- Add barium chloride to see if white precipitate is formed
5. How can you distinguish between magnesium and calcium precipitates?
- Add water and if it turns green it is calcium
- Add bromine water, the one that dissolves is calcium
- Flame test
- Set fire to it and which one fizzes is magnesium