1. How can you record retention times?
- A magnetic current detector that attaches to individual molecules
- The individual compounds travel at different speeds through the column and it records how much left the column in how long
- An electric current detector that attaches to individual molecules
- Add methane to the column and see how fast they leave the column
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the molecular ion peak?
- Describes the reactivity of that compound
- Shows the relative molecular mass of a substance where the individual compound with a large peak corresponds to an ion with one electron removed
- Shows the atomic number of one of the elements
- Shows the atomic number in a compound
3. How can you then identify compounds?
- Put it through an electric current to see its electrical conductivity
- Heat it to see its boiling point
- Compare to results for known compounds
- A bromine water and see what colour it turns
4. Where is the molecular ion peak found?
- Tallest peak
- Furthest peak on the left of the mass spectrum
- Furthest peak on the right of the mass spectrum
- Central peak
5. What is filtration used for?
- Separate an insoluble substance from a solvent with soluble substances in
- Separate miscible substances
- Separate a dissolved substance from the solvent
- Chemically combine two compounds