Skip to content
Back to quiz
6. Which case approved the ruling in R vs. Woollin about the "virtual certainty" test?
- R vs. Mohan
- R vs. Matthews and Alleyne
- R vs. Cunningham
- R vs. Vickers
7. The ruling in the case Dietschmann tells us what?
- For diminished responsibility with intoxication, the intoxication must be separated and the special defence applied
- None of these answers
- For loss of control with intoxication, the intoxication must be separated and the special defence applied
- Diminished responsibility cannot be relied upon if intoxication is involved
8. True or false: murder is limited to the intention to kill?
9. s.54(4) CJA 2009 tells us that a D cannot rely on loss of control if there is...?
- A considered desire for revenge
- The presence of intoxication
- A separate criminal act
- A planned course of action
10. The special defence of diminished responsibility originally came from s.2 of the Homicide Act 1957. Which legislation is the defence currently set out under?
- s.52 Criminal Justice Act 2003
- s.52 Criminal Justice Act 2009
- s.52 Coroners and Justice Act 2009
- s.52 Offences Against the Person Act 1861
11. In regards to gross negligence manslaughter, Lord ___ said the jury must consider "the extent to which the D's conduct departed from the proper standard of care expected"?
12. What is the maximum custodial sentence for voluntary manslaughter?
- 50 years
- 25 years
- Discretionary life sentence
- Mandatory life sentence
13. In which case was the D found not guilty of unlawful act manslaughter, as there was no unlawful act?
- R vs. Lamb
- R vs. Franklin
- R vs. Khan and Khan
- R vs. Church
14. Was the D in R vs. Ahluwalia successful in relying upon their special defence?
15. True or false: in regards to unlawful act manslaughter, only the mens rea for the unlawful act is required?
16. Loss of control is set out under which section of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009?
17. When considering whether to apply the law on causation, it must be considered whether there is a ___ between the ___ and the ___.
- Connection between the actions and the defendant
- Link between the actions and the consequence
- Evidence between the defendant and the consequence
- Similarity between the consequence and the defendant's actions
18. Which statement is true in regards to unlawful act manslaughter?
- Death will only be caused if the drugs were supplied by someone else
- Neither supplying drugs nor administering drugs will cause a death
- Supplying drugs will not cause death; administering drugs will
- Supplying and administering drugs will both cause a death
19. What is the highest level of mens rea for murder?
- Implied malice aforethought
- Express malice aforethought
- Malice aforethought
20. True or false: murder is a common law offence?