Skip to content
Back to quiz
6. True or false: a killing will still be unlawful if it is in self defence?
7. Which case approved the ruling in R vs. Woollin about the "virtual certainty" test?
- R vs. Matthews and Alleyne
- R vs. Vickers
- R vs. Cunningham
- R vs. Mohan
8. What is the actus reus for unlawful act manslaughter?
- Death caused by an unlawful act
- A dangerous, unlawful act which causes death
- A dangerous act which causes death
- An unlawful act which causes death
9. For the anger trigger (loss of control), the objective test says that the things said/done under s.55(4) CJA 2009 must be of...?
- An extreme character
- An extremely grave character
- An unnecessary character
- A grave character
10. True or false: in regards to unlawful act manslaughter, only the mens rea for the unlawful act is required?
11. When considering whether to apply the law on causation, it must be considered whether there is a ___ between the ___ and the ___.
- Similarity between the consequence and the defendant's actions
- Link between the actions and the consequence
- Connection between the actions and the defendant
- Evidence between the defendant and the consequence
12. The special defence of diminished responsibility originally came from s.2 of the Homicide Act 1957. Which legislation is the defence currently set out under?
- s.52 Coroners and Justice Act 2009
- s.52 Criminal Justice Act 2009
- s.52 Offences Against the Person Act 1861
- s.52 Criminal Justice Act 2003
13. In regards to gross negligence manslaughter, Lord ___ said the jury must consider "the extent to which the D's conduct departed from the proper standard of care expected"?
14. What is the highest level of mens rea for murder?
- Malice aforethought
- Express malice aforethought
- Implied malice aforethought
15. Was the D in R vs. Ahluwalia successful in relying upon their special defence?
16. s.54(4) CJA 2009 tells us that a D cannot rely on loss of control if there is...?
- A considered desire for revenge
- The presence of intoxication
- A separate criminal act
- A planned course of action
17. True or false: murder is limited to the intention to kill?
18. True or false: murder is a common law offence?
19. Loss of control is set out under which section of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009?
20. The ruling in the case Dietschmann tells us what?
- Diminished responsibility cannot be relied upon if intoxication is involved
- For diminished responsibility with intoxication, the intoxication must be separated and the special defence applied
- For loss of control with intoxication, the intoxication must be separated and the special defence applied
- None of these answers