Skip to content
Back to quiz
6. In regards to gross negligence manslaughter, Lord ___ said the jury must consider "the extent to which the D's conduct departed from the proper standard of care expected"?
7. When considering whether to apply the law on causation, it must be considered whether there is a ___ between the ___ and the ___.
- Connection between the actions and the defendant
- Similarity between the consequence and the defendant's actions
- Link between the actions and the consequence
- Evidence between the defendant and the consequence
8. True or false: in regards to unlawful act manslaughter, only the mens rea for the unlawful act is required?
9. Which statement is true in regards to unlawful act manslaughter?
- Supplying drugs will not cause death; administering drugs will
- Death will only be caused if the drugs were supplied by someone else
- Neither supplying drugs nor administering drugs will cause a death
- Supplying and administering drugs will both cause a death
10. For the special defence of diminished responsibility, the defendant must prove that they were suffering from an abnormality of...?
- Mental functioning
- Brain functioning
- The mind
- Mental processing
11. True or false: murder is limited to the intention to kill?
12. What is the highest level of mens rea for murder?
- Malice aforethought
- Express malice aforethought
- Implied malice aforethought
13. What is the maximum custodial sentence for voluntary manslaughter?
- 50 years
- Discretionary life sentence
- Mandatory life sentence
- 25 years
14. The ruling in the case Dietschmann tells us what?
- Diminished responsibility cannot be relied upon if intoxication is involved
- For diminished responsibility with intoxication, the intoxication must be separated and the special defence applied
- For loss of control with intoxication, the intoxication must be separated and the special defence applied
- None of these answers
15. Was the D in R vs. Ahluwalia successful in relying upon their special defence?
16. What is the actus reus for unlawful act manslaughter?
- Death caused by an unlawful act
- A dangerous, unlawful act which causes death
- A dangerous act which causes death
- An unlawful act which causes death
17. True or false: murder is a common law offence?
18. Loss of control is set out under which section of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009?
19. The special defence of diminished responsibility originally came from s.2 of the Homicide Act 1957. Which legislation is the defence currently set out under?
- s.52 Offences Against the Person Act 1861
- s.52 Criminal Justice Act 2003
- s.52 Coroners and Justice Act 2009
- s.52 Criminal Justice Act 2009
20. True or false: a killing will still be unlawful if it is in self defence?