Skip to content
Back to quiz
6. Which statement is true in regards to unlawful act manslaughter?
- Death will only be caused if the drugs were supplied by someone else
- Supplying drugs will not cause death; administering drugs will
- Supplying and administering drugs will both cause a death
- Neither supplying drugs nor administering drugs will cause a death
7. What is the actus reus for unlawful act manslaughter?
- Death caused by an unlawful act
- A dangerous, unlawful act which causes death
- A dangerous act which causes death
- An unlawful act which causes death
8. Was the D in R vs. Ahluwalia successful in relying upon their special defence?
9. True or false: in regards to unlawful act manslaughter, only the mens rea for the unlawful act is required?
10. In regards to gross negligence manslaughter, Lord ___ said the jury must consider "the extent to which the D's conduct departed from the proper standard of care expected"?
11. True or false: a killing will still be unlawful if it is in self defence?
12. Which case approved the ruling in R vs. Woollin about the "virtual certainty" test?
- R vs. Cunningham
- R vs. Matthews and Alleyne
- R vs. Vickers
- R vs. Mohan
13. The ruling in the case Dietschmann tells us what?
- None of these answers
- For diminished responsibility with intoxication, the intoxication must be separated and the special defence applied
- Diminished responsibility cannot be relied upon if intoxication is involved
- For loss of control with intoxication, the intoxication must be separated and the special defence applied
14. What is the maximum custodial sentence for voluntary manslaughter?
- 25 years
- Mandatory life sentence
- Discretionary life sentence
- 50 years
15. True or false: murder is limited to the intention to kill?
16. When considering whether to apply the law on causation, it must be considered whether there is a ___ between the ___ and the ___.
- Link between the actions and the consequence
- Similarity between the consequence and the defendant's actions
- Evidence between the defendant and the consequence
- Connection between the actions and the defendant
17. What is the highest level of mens rea for murder?
- Malice aforethought
- Express malice aforethought
- Implied malice aforethought
18. Loss of control is set out under which section of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009?
19. For the anger trigger (loss of control), the objective test says that the things said/done under s.55(4) CJA 2009 must be of...?
- An unnecessary character
- An extreme character
- An extremely grave character
- A grave character
20. s.54(4) CJA 2009 tells us that a D cannot rely on loss of control if there is...?
- A considered desire for revenge
- A planned course of action
- The presence of intoxication
- A separate criminal act