1. The Soldier - Rupert Brooke
- Written in 1914 - Start of the war
- The poem was used as propaganda to get other men to fight in the war.
- Rupert Brooke never made it to the front lines.
- Ironically Rupert Brooke died during the war... after getting septicaemia from a mosquito. He was buried in Greece.
- Home Front
- Petrachan Sonnet
- The title 'The Soldier' suggests that this is about the ideal soldier/perfect soldier.
- 'If I should die' - Suggests it is unlikey (Ironic considering thousands of men died and that he did die).
- "Think only this of me" - Message to the home front - link to Journey's End (Stanhope doesn't want Madge to know he is a drunkard).
- "That there's some corner of a foreign field / That is forever England." -…
Similar English Literature resources: