Vivaldi's Basson Concerto
- Written for the L'ospidale della pieta a school and orphanage for illegitimate girls of lords and high class people where Vivaldi worked
- He wrote pieces for his students which would be performed for charity concerts or at the school often
- This piece was obviously written for a virtuoso bassoon player
- He was also called the red priest and wrote over 500 concertos.
This was written in Ritornello form with four Ritornellos and 3 solo episodes.
Ritornello is where the tutti orchestra play
An Episode is where the soloist plays
Bars 24 - 28
Am – B maj - Em
Bars 38 - 46
Key features of each section
· In Em
· States the first theme, an acciaccatura melody also known as a Scottish snap rhythm or Lombardic rhythm. The acciaccaturas are…