The war was fought between the GMD & the CCP
The victory against Japan was most due to the US' involvement, not China.
China's economy: weak, collapsed, vulnerable, corrupt and unstable.
Stats: 60 million homeless, and 1.3 mil killed -S.J.W
Chiang (responsible for re-building China after S.J.W)
- pumped all money into the army to gain military power.
- Domestically weak position - especially in 1945
- fearful of losing his power, became more repressive, in a desperate attempt to maintain his role he adopts the 1936 revised constitution - laying down more left wing ideas: universal sufferage, equality of the people, (everyone votes) and elections. However he doesn't follow through with it and instead increases terror and the secret police.
- Chiang's tolerance of the CCP decreased as his power increased.
The civil war continued intermittently until the 2 S.J.W interrupted it, resulting in the two parties forming a Second United Front.
- The victory against Japan was most due to the US' involvement, not China.
- Within less than 2 year after the Sino-Japanese war, the KMT received 4.43 billions dollars from the US - most of them was military aid.
- After the S.J.W the power balance became more profitable for the Chinese Communist Party. (Their main…