Rime of the Ancient Mariner
- Why does he only stop one of three? Targeted- There is a reason he needs to speak to the wedding guest
- The Mariner is charismatic ‘Glittering eye’
- First 4 stanzas in 3rd person- Wedding guest is the audience to Mariners speech not us. This allows us to be objective when listening to the Mariner’s tale as we don’t have to learn from it
- Mariner’s tale is in 1st person- Parable and detailed lesson he has learnt
- ‘Noon’ is significant as it is the witching hour.
- Simile, ‘As green as emerald’
- Repetition, ‘The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around’, emphasis on ‘ice’ creates a gothic setting
- Emphasis on religion- The relationship between god and man was significant to romantics
- Personification, ‘Good south wind still blew’, ‘Like God’s own head’, ‘Silence of the sea!’, sun-religious emphasis, alliteration of s sound, emphasis the silence
- Repetition, ‘Birds to slay’- Emphasis significance. The collusion of the other sailors makes them as guilty as the Mariner. ‘Day after day, day after day’- Emphasis monotony. ‘Water, water, everywhere’- Ironic and emphasis their lack of water
- ‘As idle as a painted ship’- Image of lack of progression.
- Stanza 10- Emphasis the Mariner’s hatred of nature
- Alliteration, ‘Reel and rout’- Uneasiness of the Mariner in his situation.
- Oxymoron, ‘The water, like a witch’s oil’- Water and oil can’t combine, shows unease of situation
- Albatross a literal or metaphorical burden? Does it really hang around his neck? Direct comparison shows- Albatross is a Jesus like figure
- REPETITION, 'A WEARY TIME! A WEARY TIME!' - SO TIRED, CANNOT THINK OF NEW WORD. 'LIKE THE WHIZZ OF MY CROSSBOW!' - mARINER CAN SEE THE CONNECTION BETWEEN HIS ACTIONS AND WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE MEN.
- 'CURSED ME' - SUPERNATRUAL, GOTHIC.
- 'I BIT MY ARM, I SUCKED THE BLOOD' - GOTHIC AND DEPRAVED IMAGERY.
- RELIGIOUS REFERENCE, 'CASTING DICE' - ROMANCS CAST DICE TO DIVIDE JESUS' BELONGINGS.
- 'MY LIFE-BLOOD SEEMED TO SIP!' - MARINER IS TRANSCENDING INTO A LIMBO STATE.
- IDENTIFIESTHE SHIP AS SUPERNATURAL BECAUSE IT SAILS WITHOUT A BREEZE - IT DEFIES NATURE.
- PERSONIFICATION, 'AS IF THROUGH A DUNGEON-GREATE HE PEERED' - SUN, GOTHIC IMAGERY. 'HER' - OF THE SHIP. THERE IS PERSONIFICATION OF STATES OF BEING. 'STARS RUSH OUT'- STARS.
- OXYMORON IN THE DESCRIPTION OF LIFE-IN-DEATH.
- FIRST 2 STANZAS - BREAKFROM THE STORY WITHIN A STORY.
- REPETITION, 'GLITTERING EYE' - EXTENDED METAPHOR. 'ALONE, ALONE, ALL, ALONE, ALL ALONE' - LONELINESS.'ROTTING' - NEGATIVE IMAGE OF NATURE, SIMILAR TO DEATH - REPULSES HIM.
- 'AND A THOUSAND THOUSAND SLIMY THINGS' HATRED OF NATURE.
- ALLITERATION, 'WICKED WHISPER' - W SOUND SHROUDS IT IN SECRECY. 'ROT AND REEK' - REINFORCES REPULSION.
- STANZAS 12-13 - MARINER BEGINS TO APPRECIATE NATURE.
- 'AND I BLESSES THEM UNAWARE' - APPRECIATING NATURE MEANS THAT THE MARINER IS ABLE TO PRAY.
- 'THE ALBATROSS FELL OFF, AND SANK LIKE LEAD INTO THE SEA', LITERAL OF METAPHORICAL? THIS IS A MOFIT THAT WILL BE…