The earth is seperated into 3 main parts:
- The Continental Crust-solid, made of rocks which cool below the surface such as granite.
- The Oceanic Crust- Solid, and made up of rocks which cool above the surface such as basalt.
- The Upper Mantle- This layer is made of ultrabasic minerals, and is solid.
- Asthenosphere- Partially molten layer made of peridotites.
- Lower Mantle- Solid layer made of silica based minerals.
- Outer core is liquid, very dense; and made of iron/nickel.
- Inner core is solid, very dense, and made of iron/nickel.
Convection currents occur when magma in the mantle is heated up from the radioactive decay in the core…