- Created by: BenEllinor
- Created on: 14-04-17 14:14
Evidence for Continental Drift and Plate Tectonics
- Alfred Wegener proposed the idea but his theory of the continents slowly drifting was widely regarded as false until rougly half a century later, primarily because it couldn't be explained how they were drifting (today, we know that it's convection currents.
- Fit of the continents into one another can provide evidence (definition).
- Coastlines are continuously shaped by erosion and deposition.
- Ancient continental shield areas in Africa and South America match up when placed together.
- Today's continents can be fitted together to reconstruct the supercontinent Pangea.
- A good example of 'continental fit' is shown by the similarities in shape of the coastlines…