2 factors which contribute to relationship breakdown:
- Lack of skills (communication and interpersonal skills, emotional stability, insensitivity)
- Lack of stimulation (boredom, belief relationship is going nowhere, not seeing eachother
Duck and Rollie's relationship dissolution stage model:
- 1. Breakdown: at least 1 partner is dissatisfied with the relationship however they dont voice this.
- 2. Intra-psychic phase: depression and resentment from dissatisfied partner. Social withdrawal, focus on partner's faults, sense of being underbenefitted.
- 3. Dyadic phase: couple talk to one another, reconcilliation occurs when partner accepts dissatisfaction of other, problem solving= potential for relationship to be saved Scape goating= relationship breakdown- making excuses/blame eachother.
- 4. Social phase: Relationship problems aired to friends and family, alliances are created, young…