- Cosmic radiation comes from space.
- Radon and thoron are two radioactive gases found in the air. Coal contains small amounts of radioactive materials such as uranium and radium.
- Radioactivity may be detected using a Geiger counter.
- Natural radioactive material is taken up by plants and animals which may be eaten by animals.
- Large doses of gamma rays targeted directly at the concerous growth can be used to kill the cancer cells completely.
- High doses of radiation will kill living cells but can lead to abnormal growth and cancer.
- Cancer can be treated by surgery cuting out cancerous cells. Another way is to kill the cancer cells inside the body. This can be done wiht chemicals containing radioactive isotopes. The radiation kills healthy cells as well…
Similar Physics resources: