The chemistry of photosynthesis
· The balanced symbol equation for photosynthesis is:
· 6CO2 + 6H2O à C6H12O6 + 6O2
· The simple sugars such as glucose can be:
o Used in respiration
o Converted into cellulose to make cell walls
o Converted into proteins for growth and repair
o Converted into starch, fats and oils for storage.
· Starch is used for storage because it is insoluble and does not move from storage areas.
· Photosynthesis is a two-stage process:
o Water is split up by light energy releasing oxygen gas and hydrogen ions
o Carbon dioxide…