Plants produce Glucose by Photosythesis
- Photosynthsis is the process that produces 'food' in plants. The food it produces is Glucose - a sugar.
- Photosynthesis happens in the leaves of all green plants - this is largely what the leaves are for.
- Photosynthesis happens inside the Chloroplasts which are found in leaf cells and in other geen parts of a plant. Chloroplasts contain a substance called Chlorophyll which absorbs sunlight and allows its energy to be used to convert the Carbon Dioxide and water into Glucose. Oxygen is also produce but it is a waste product.
Carbon Dioxide + Water ------> Glucose + Oxygen
Plants use Glucose in 3 main ways
Glucose is used for respiration
- Plant use some of the respiration for respiration.
- This process releases energy from the Glucose. Some of this energy…