Sex Differences In Parental Investment
- Males can walk away from investment into childcare in ways females can't, due to their high reproductive effort that takes place during mating and courtship. (Daly + Wilson)
Why do females invest more?
- Human babies are born relatively immature, compared to other mammalian young, due to an enlargement of the skull.
- In common with other mammels, female humans breast feed their young.
- Due to the prolonged immaturity of a human infant, human females invest the most resources postnataly as well as prenataly.
Costs of maternal investment
- Male costs of maternal investment are, at the minimum, sex and semen.
- The minimum costs for females are nine moths pregnacy, followed by years of feading, carying and teaching.
- This makes random mating by females a risky and costly action.