Northern rebellion, 1569-70 -
- Didn't accept Henry VIII's divorce with Catherine of Aragon - believed Elizabeth way illegitimate.
- Move towards Protestantism - northern earls had traditionalist attitudes in both religion/politics.
- Reduced power of the northern landowners/families in favour of Elizabeth's councillors.
- Treatment of the earls by southeners planted in the area - Pilkington's aggressive treatment.
- Elizabeth put men she trusted in power - earls excluded fro office and powers.
- Earl's were sidelined by Elizabeth and lost out financially - forced to borrow as they became so poor.
- Release Mary queen of Scots from inprisonment and put her on the throne (norfolk-mary marriage).