Microorganisms in Industry
A fermenter is a big container full of liquid culture medium which microorganisms can grow and reproduce in.
The fermenter needs to give the mocroorganisms the conditions best for them to grow and produce their useful product.
- Food is provided in the liquid culture medium - more can be pumped in if needed
- Air is piped in to supply oxygen
- Need to be kept at the right temperature - microorganisms produce heat from respiration so fermenters need to be cooled - usually done with a water-cooled jacket, temperature is monitored by instruments
- Right pH is needed - monitored by instruments
- Sterile conditions are needed to prevent contamination which…