- Created by: Emma Boyle
- Created on: 28-05-15 00:03
Leader of the first Labour Government Jan-Dec 1924
Leader of the Labour Government 1929-31
Leader of the National Government 1931-35
- In 1931, ''he put his country behind his party'' (David Marquand) by acting in the national interest and joining the National government.
- First to make a trip across the Atlantic to meet with Presidnet Hoover.
- Managed to secure the first Labour government in 1924.
- During the first Labour government the radicals in the party were educated.
- He tried to gain middle class support to make Labour more electable.
- Gained support of Baldwin.
- MacDonald was a pacifist and formed the Locarno Treaties.
- Responsible for the 'Dawes Plan' which solved Franco-German reparation problems.
- Wheatley's housing Act provided grants of £9 million for council houses.
- Increased old age pensions and unemployment benefits during first Labour government.
- Helped form the Lib-Lab Pact which helped them come into power in 1929 and 1924 as Liberals refused to ally with Conservatives.
- Moderate image popular with the voters.
- By joining the National government he ''committed a great act of political treachery''-Clement Atlee.
- Attempted to cut money from the…