Sustainable city- An urban area where residents have a long way of life that will last a long time. The environment is not damaged and the economic and social fabric are able to stand the test of time.
Green belt- An area of open land around a city, on which building is restricted.
Urban spraw- The spreading of urban developments (as houses and shopping centers) on undeveloped land near a city.
Sustainability- An ability or capacity of something to be maintained or to sustain itself. It's about taking what we need to live now, without jeopardising the potential for people in the future to meet their needs
What are the characteristics of a sustainable city?
- .Resources and services in the city are accessible to all
- Public transport is seen as a viable alternative to cars
- .Public transport is safe and reliable
- .Walking and cycling is safe
- .Areas of open space are safe, accessible and enjoyable
- .Wherever possible, renewable resources are used instead of non renewable and renewable sources
- .Waste is seen as a resource and is recycled wherever possible
- .New homes are energy efficient
- .There is…