- Created by: Ellie.snape
- Created on: 18-10-18 16:38
Properties of acids
1. They are liquids.
2. They are solutions of compounds in water.
3. If concentrated they can be corrosive.
4. Acids taste sour (for example, vinegar).
5. Turn blue litmus paper red - this is an easy test for an acid!
6. Usually react with metals to form salts.
7. Acids contain hydrogen ions.
8. Turn Universal Indicator from green to red, and have a pH less than 7.
Examples of acids: are vinegar (ethanoic acid) and lemon juice (citric acid)
magnesium + hydrochloric acid -> magnesium chloride + hydrogen gas
Some common acids used in your laboratories at school will be:
1. Hydrochloric acid, HCl(aq)
2. Nitric acid, HNO3(aq)
3. Sulphuric acid, H2SO4(aq)
Properties of alkalis
1. They feel soapy to touch.
2. They are soluble bases.
3. Like acids, they can burn the skin.
4. They turn red litmus blue - this is how you test for an alkali!