Development: they way a country's economy grows
- Good average wealth
- Majority of people are employed
- High energy consumption
- High standards of living
- Good access to healthcare
- Compulsary education
- Most people low paid
- Most work in primary industry
- Low energy consumption
- Most people live in poor quality housing
- Few doctors and hospitals
- Varied access to education and vary literate levels
Quality of life: A good quality of life is someone having access to healthcare, good quality housing, access to clean water, good sanitation, access to a power supply, able to afford a good diet, good level of peronal security and safety and a low level of pollution and general environmental conditions.
Human development index: Uses the following to come up with a figure between 0 and 1. 1 being excellent
- Life expectancy
- School enrolement and atainment (literacy rates)
- real GNP per person and what this actually buys them in the area they live in.
Why does the development gap exist?
- Level of industrial development: some countries have few industries and rely on a narrow range of industrial opportunities.
- Reliance on primary prroducts: some countries rely on a narrow range of primary products to earn money. The price of these products…