Bail for Part b Synoptic Question
· Pre-trial matter
· If granted - suspects are free to go until the next stage in the process – remanded on bail
· If refused - they are remanded in custody.
· Police and magistrates make bail decisions.
· Police bail – decided by Custody Officer under s38 of The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE).
Refusal of bail – Police Bail
· The name and address of the suspect cannot be discovered
· or they believe the name and address given to be false
If the police refuse bail after having charged a defendant the defendant must go directly to the Magistrates’ Court where the case will be heard, if…