Pyramids of Number and Biomass
- A trophic level is a feeding level.
- Every time you move up a stage (trophic level) in a food chain, there's less energy and less biomass.
- There are also usually fewer organisms every time you move up a level too:
- For example, 100 Dandelions feed 10 rabbits which feed 1 fox.
- This is not always true though - for example, there are likely to be around 500 fleas feeding on the fox. The number has increased as you move up that stage.
- Therefore, a better way to look at a food chain is to think about biomass instead of number of organisms.
- You can use info about biomass…