Functionalism and the family- the basics!
- Also known as the biological model.
- Sees society as having different parts that all function together, keeping society moving.
- Some functionalist theories are based on the idea that societies need value consensus- agreement about norms and values- in order to survive. These theories are also known as consensus theories.
- Functionalists assume that if an institution (like the family) exists, then it must have a function or purpose that contributes to maintaining society.
- As a result, the family is seen to perform functions that benefit the memembers and society as a whole.
- Said the family is found in all societies and…