When plates collide at destructive margins/where destructive boundries used to be.
- when plates collide, sedimentary rocks that have built up between them are folded and forced upwards to form mountains.
- get fold mountains where continental plates & oceanic plates collide (eg Andes)
- also where 2 continental plates collide. (eg Himalayas)
- eg Nazca plates subducts underneath the South American plate
- their moving together has pushed sediment together. This has been pushed upwards to form the Andes.
Human Use Of Fold Mountains:
- Higher mountains not good for crops, so animals are grazed. eg mountain goats.
- lower slopes used for crops. can be terraced to make this easier.
- major source of metal ores
- steep slopes make access difficult, so zig-zag roads carved into sides of mountains
- spectacular scenery attracts tourists
- in winter can do skiing, snowboarding & ice climbing
- in summer can do walking & enjoy scenery
- tunnels can be drilled through to…