- Men have evolved different strategies to keep their partners from comitting adultery
- Cuckoldry and Sexual Jealousy
- Men can never be certain if they are the fathers of their children; always at risk of cuckoldry.
- Men might unwillingly invest resources in offspring that is not theirs. They may adapt functions of sexual jealosy to deter a mate from sexual infidelity.
- Mate Retention and Violence
- Buss says males have strategies for the purpose of keeping a mate which limits their autonomy.
- Sexual jealousy is a primary cause of violence against women.
- Those at a percieved risk are more likely.
- Studies of battered women show extreme jealousy n behalf of their partners.
- Sexual Jealousy and Extreme Violence
- Sexual jealousy is the single most common motivation for killings in domestic disputes in the US.
- Sexual jealousy accounted for 17% of murders in the UK
- Research Support
- Study shows a clear relationship between sexual jealousy, mate retention strategies by ,ales and violence towards women.
- Buss found that men who suspected their wives may be unfaithful over the next year exacted greater punishment for a known or suspected infidelity than men.
- Finding is consistent with the claim that evolutionary psychology that mate retention strategies are evoken only when a particular adaptive problem is faced.
- Practical Applications
- Particular tactics of mate retention used by males can be an early indicator of violence against the female partner.
- Indicators can be used to alert family and friends.
- A Physiological Basis for Jealousy Based Aggression
- Takahashi supported male sexual jealousy being linked to aggression
- Neural response to imagined scenes depicted infidelity and emotional jealousy was different for men…