Evolutionary explanation of aggression:
- Aggression is adaptive and has come about as a result of competition for survival. Increase Reproductive success and thus inclusive fitness.
- Lorenz- 3 functions of evolved aggression- protecting offspring, ensuring only fittest and strongest mates produce offspring and competing for territory- evolved and reflect modern aggression
- mate retention strategies- increase chance of breeding
- Male male competition and territorial aggression
- Shackleford (2005): males have developed mate retention strategies to deter mates from infedelity and their risk of cuckoldry.
- Cuckoldry= males cannot pass on their genesand will waste resources on rival males offsprings survival, unwittingly
- risk of Cuckoldry-use of mate retention strategies to attempt to prevent females from strayingand deter male rivals.
- Mate regarding strategies eg monopolisation of woman's timepositivly corralated with domestic violence and aggression in relationships.
- Corralation= aggression as a result of sexual jealousy= innate/adaptive response to reduce risk of cuckoldry & increase chance male can further lineage
- Link between MRS and aggression= 72% of women who report experiencing MRS has been hospitalised after incident of domestic violence.
- support evolutionary explanation- reduce sexual…