Properties of Covalent Compounds
Covalent substances with simple molecular structures are usually gases, liquids or solids with low melting and boiling points. The low melting point is due to weak forces of attraction between the molecules.
- Diamond is made out of carbon.
- Diamond is not a molecule because it does not have a fixed number of carbon atoms.
- Diamond forms a giant covalent structure.
- Each carbon atom is covalently bonded to four other carbon atoms.
- This forms a regular 3D structure.
- Graphite alsoforms giant covalent structures.
- In graphite each carbon atom…