- Created by: amy-vousden
- Created on: 15-04-15 11:39
- Coastal retreat can be managed using a number of different approaches.
- Coastal retreat can be managed using both 'Hard' and 'Soft' engineering.
Hard Engineering Techniques (ex: Durlston Bay in Dorset)
Involve the use of concrete and steel to produce strong / long lasting structures.
- Sea Wall – Built from resistant material and reflects the wave back out to sea.
- Rip Rap (Rock Armour) – Dissipate and absorb the wave's energy.
- Revetments – Break up incoming waves, spread and absorb wave energy.
- Gabions – Absorbs the wave's energy and act as a barrier protecting the cliffs behind.
- Groynes – Prevents longshore drift increasing beach size. Large beach causes waves to 'run out' of energy before they reach the cliff.
- Off-Shore Reef –…