- Created by: jadamason
- Created on: 17-05-21 19:47
- before the reformation, christians learnt about their faith through clergy due to the bible being in latin. howevever, during the reformation, the bible was translated allowing for people to come to their own interpretations leading to liberal theology (approach to biblical scripture through modern thought) <-- criticisms of liberal theology = barth + fundamentalist christians argue the bible isnt subject to human reason
- christian egalitarians = women + men equal
- christian complementarians = women + men equal but different
support for gender equality
- phoebe is 'deacon and patron of many'/apostle junias/prophet deborah
- 'there is neither jew nor gentile...nor is there male and female, for you are all one in christ'
- 'in the lord, woman is not independent of man nor man of woman'
- 'god shows no partiality'
- 'love thy neighbour'
- 'all have sinned'
- monasticism/celibacy offers escape from male dominated life
- jesus tended to women eg mary magdalene
against gender equality
- 'wives submit yourselves to your own husbands'
- 'women should remain silent in the churches'
- 'the husband is the…