- Created by: lucy_cordingley
- Created on: 13-05-14 20:59
1.1 - Chemical Bonding
- covalent bonding - the attraction between two bonding atoms that share one or more pairs of electrons.
- ion - a charged particle produced by the loss or gain of electrons.
- ionic bonding - the electrostatic force of attraction between the positively and negatively charged ions.
When two or more elements react together compounds are formed. The atoms of the elements join together by sharing electrons or transferring electrons to achieve a full outter shell. Atoms of the noble gases have full outter shells and therefore do not react with any other elements.
When atoms of non-metalic elements join together by sharing electrons it is called covalent bonding.
When metalic elements react with non-metalic elements they produce ionic compounds. The metal atoms lose electrons to form positive…