- Realist sociologist such as Young and Lea - BCS tell us very little about the day to day experience of living in high crime areas such as the inner city or problem council estates.
- Realists and feminists - structured interviews end up imposing the priorities of government sociologists on those taking part in the interview.
- Responses restricted by the closed nature of the questions and the limited choice of answers.
- Little insight into how people interpret and experience crime in their everyday environment.
Non-official victim surveys:
- Left Realists - BCS has tended to neglect the concentration of crime found in inner city areas and on deprived council estates.
The Islington Crime Survey:
- Islington Crime Survey carried out by the Left Realist sociologists Lea and Young used sympathetic unstructured interviewing techniques.
- Victims in inner London…
Similar Sociology resources: