PRODUCTS FROM OIL
- Hydrocarbon molecules can be broken down by heating them with steam to a very high temperature or by passing their vapours over a hot catalyst.
- Cracking produces alkanes and alkenes.
- Alkanes are unsaturated hydrocarbons.
- Alkenes turn bromine water from orange to colourless.
Making polymers from alkenes
- Plastics are made of very large molecules called polymers.
- Polymers are large molecules made when many small molecules (monomers) join together.
- Alkenes can be used to make polymers such as poly(ethene) and poly(propene).
New and useful polymers
- New polymers…