Haemoglobins = group of chemically similar molecules found in wide variety of organism.
- Primary structure = four polypeptide chains
- Secondary structure = polypeptide chains coiled into helixes.
- Tertiary structure = each polypeptide chain folded into precise shape - important factor in its ability to carry oxygen.
- Quaternary structure = all four polypeptides linked, form almost spherical molecule. Each polypeptide associated with a haem group (contians Fe2+ ion which can combine with a single oxygen molecule, so 4 O molecules per haemoglobin molecule.
Role of haemoglobin
Transport oxygens so it must:
- Readily associate with oxygen at surface where…
Similar Biology resources: